Blogger Layouts

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Another weekend that was full of stuff to do

It felt like a really full weekend!  Is that a good thing?  It was full on Friday as I slept most of it away!  My hubby switching to days has really got me this time!  I stay up late with that 'stupid' box on and expect to be able to stay up all day! Grrr!  Now here it is Sunday night and I have an anniversary card to make and get in the mail in the morning cuz it has to arrive by Wednesday!  It has to.  And yet here I am on the computer.  I yi yi!!! 
I made a mean 'stew' today.  Stew.....my mother called it.  It's really a hearty beef vegetable soup with a tomato base.  I grew up with it being called stew.  My hubby let me know it was a soup, (probably cuz he thinks it can't be a meal without a meat, a potato, and veggies, on a plate).  I tried to explain all that was in the 'stew' and with some cornbread........OH MAN IS THAT A MEAL!  Southern style!!  Yumm
I also made two, not just one oh no!  I made two apple pies.  I had a sliver about the size of a butter knife on it's side and OMGoodness was it good!  Here is the best apple pie recipe I have ever used:

Grandma's Apple Pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

6 to 8 medium apples ~ I used 4 granny smiths and 3 galas
pie crust ~ I used Pillsbury that you unroll in a pie plate
put same sized apple slices in pie plate (not to full)

Measure these carefully in a non stick sauce pan:
1/2 C butter
3 T flour ~ I used wheat
1/4 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar

Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes then pour evenly over apples.

You can use the second pie crust for the top.......or do what I did and put a crumble over the top made of the following:

1/4 C flour (again I use wheat)
1/4 C brown sugar
2 or 3 T butter
                      cut this using a fork or pastry cutter until 'crumbly' and spread/sprinkle on top of pie.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 then lower the heat to 350 and bake for another 35 to 45 minutes

I know it's hard to do but wait till it cools before cutting!

So a little more tomorrow as I have got to get that card done!  Pictures to follow!
Be sure to take some time to enjoy every second of your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment