Blogger Layouts

Monday, January 11, 2010

Have I mentioned that we, my hubby and I, are on the afternoon shift. So my mornings are a little different than most. I woke up and took a nice long shower then made the magic shake. I drank half and remembered I forgot to check my sugar. Sooo....I checked and it was 205! I was kind of a bad girl yesterday in that I had a HUGE piece of cake! I knew I was starting a new way of eating today so I just had to have it! It really wasn't all that good. Someone once told me if I was going to be "bad", only eat 2 or 3 bites and wait 10 minutes. It seems if you wait, you really won't want the rest.

We went grocery shopping yesterday evening and I bought 90% of the groceries from the perimeter of the store. I think 80% was spent in the produce dept.! I had a list of ingredients from some recipes I found on vegetarian websites. I will cook (make) them this week and let you know how they go. I am a picky eater and thank goodness I love veggies. I don't like beans, cabbage, cauliflower, or most greens (collard, spinach). I do like turnip greens seasoned and in a can! I don't know why I just do!

One of my issues is that I'm so insulin resistant that it takes a lot of insulin to bring my sugar down. I took 20 units with a 205 reading. It will probably go down to much. It is such a balancing act trying to get it to stay between 80 and 110! Dr. Oz makes me laugh every time he says that it needs to stay there in between those numbers. I actually laugh out loud! But I do believe that eating nearly the same things and at the same times of the day can put you on the right path.


I have to take our Max to the vet today. A couple of months ago he contracted heart worms and he came through the treatment well. He had to stay on leash for 6 weeks and he was pouting a little cuz there were animals to chase and people to bark at! Poor thing just didn't know why Mom was not letting him go potty by himself. Well now he has developed a cough. It sounds like the one they wanted me to watch out for. He didn't get it then, he has it now! Hopefully it is not serious.


I will be making a big salad to eat over the next few days for lunch with lite raspberry walnut vinaigrette dressing. That's a no brainer. Just cut veggies and meditate while doing so. Dinner is going to be Fresh Spring Rolls and here is that recipe:

Ingredients
2 cups water
8 large shrimp (prawns), peeled and deveined
1 ounce cellophane noodles
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup peeled, seeded and julienne cucumber
1/2 cup thinly sliced Napa cabbage
1/2 cup bean sprouts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or fresh coriander
4 rice-paper rounds,
8 inches in diameter
4 large fresh basil leaves, halved lengthwise

For the sauce:
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 green (spring) onion, including tender green top, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted natural peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Pinch of brown sugar

Directions
In a saucepan, bring the 2 cups water to a boil. Add the shrimp and immediately remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover and poach until pink and opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 3 minutes. Drain and cut each shrimp in half lengthwise. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a heatproof bowl, combine the noodles and boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and return the noodles to the bowl. Add the carrot, cucumber, cabbage, bean spouts and cilantro. Toss gently to mix.
Place a double thickness of paper towels on a work surface. Fill a large, shallow baking dish with water. Place 1 rice-paper round in the water and soak until pliable, about 30 seconds. Carefully transfer the wrapper to the paper towels and turn once to blot dry. Arrange 1/2 cup of the noodle mixture on the bottom half of the wrapper.
Fold the bottom edge toward the center and roll up the wrapper halfway, making sure to wrap tightly around the filling. Tuck 2 basil leaf halves along the inside crease of the half-rolled wrapper. Arrange 4 pieces of the shrimp, cut sides up, along the crease. Fold the right and left edges of the wrapper over the filling and finish rolling up. Repeat with the remaining wrappers, filling, basil and shrimp. Transfer the rolls to a plate and cover with dampened paper towels.
To make the sauce, combine the hoisin sauce, green onion, lime juice, fish sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes and brown sugar in a small bowl. Stir until well blended.
To serve, cut the rolls in half on the diagonal and place on small individual plates. Pool the sauce alongside each roll.

I am omitting the shrimp cuz that's something else that I don't like.

Nutritional Analysis: (per serving) Serving size: 2 spring rolls

Calories 198, Monounsaturated fat 2 g, Protein 10 g, Cholesterol 44 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g,
Sodium 512 mg, Total fat 4 g, Fiber 4 g, and Saturated fat 0 g.


Dietitian's tip: Instead of being fried, like Chinese egg rolls, these appetizers are served fresh, letting the textures and flavors of the vegetable and shrimp filling shine through. Serve with the easy dipping sauce. By Mayo Clinic staff

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment