Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My sugar was 259 this morning!!!  I ate baked potato with cheese for dinner!  It was good but look what it did to my sugar!!  (course it could have been that I didn't take a Lantus shot!!!)  I couldn't remember if I had taken one, cuz I was on the phone, and I absolutely could not take 2!!!  I guess the name of the game is PAY ATTENTION!!!   Damn, I hate when that happens!  LOL   I'll be paying for that mistake for the next couple of days!!!
My son called to let me know he is in the hospital for high sugar.  It had been high for about 5 days and he could not get it down.  They are going to see if he is spilling ketones and if so they will move him to intensive care to start an insulin drip.  They are going to check for an infection cuz as a diabetic we all know that  will raise your blood sugar tremendously. As I was posting this my son called to let me know he is not spilling ketones but his sugar was 702!!!!!  when he woke up this morning.  Now it is at 459.  Hopefully they can get it down soon.

Here is a great recipe: Almond and Apricot Biscotti
THIS I plan on making TODAY!!!!  Yum Yum!   Although I should lay off anything with a carb in it!! 

Dietitian's tip: This twice-baked cookie is a classic with coffee or tea. The whole-wheat and nuts are good sources of manganese (a mineral that helps bone formation) and selenium (an antioxidant important for thyroid hormone function).   By Mayo Clinic staff

MAKES 24 COOKIES
Ingredients
3/4 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) flour
3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup 1 percent low-fat milk
2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons dark honey
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar and baking powder. Whisk to blend. Add the eggs, milk, canola oil, honey and almond extract. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough just begins to come together. Add the chopped apricots and almonds. With floured hands, mix until the dough is well blended.

Place the dough on a long sheet of plastic wrap and shape by hand into a flattened log 12 inches long, 3 inches wide and about 1 inch high. Lift the plastic wrap to invert the dough onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to another baking sheet to cool for 10 minutes. Leave the oven set at 350 F.

Place the cooled log on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut crosswise on the diagonal into 24 slices 1/2-inch wide. Arrange the slices, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Nutritional Analysis
(per serving) Serving size: 1 cookie
Calories 73 Cholesterol 18 mg
Protein 2 g Sodium 68 mg
Carbohydrate 12 g Fiber 1 g
Total fat 2 g Potassium 100 mg
Saturated fat 0 g Calcium 29 mg
Monounsaturated fat 1 g

Everyone remember to ENJOY every second of your day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment