Blogger Layouts

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Healthy Cooking

I just opened a magazine that came in a plastic wrapper with a white sheet hiding the cover.  I thought it was one of those "samples" that mags send you so it will entice you to order. That's what I thought!  Well I was wrong!  It was a gift subscription to Taste of Home Healthy Cooking that my sister had gotten me for Christmas!!!  I can''t believe that I didn't notice it when it came it the mail!  She must think I got so much for Christmas that this was insignificant.  It was a very thoughtful gift and as I read it this morning, I find it will be very useful to me.  It has calculated the nutritional values and given the diabetic exchanges in most of the recipes. Very useful and I thank you so much Shirley!!!

I went to bed with a 99 reading and woke up the same!!!  Yay!  Another good start to the day and we'll see how long that lasts!!  It really is getting easier to not eat meat, drink pop or caffeine, and stay to away from the sugar as the days go by.  I spend alot of my time going through vegetarian recipes.  I didn't get around to making the biscotti yesterday but I will find the time before Monday. Yum!

Today I am giving out a recipe that I found in my new magazine.  I hope you will try it with me as it sounds really good to me.  Here it is:

Broccoli with Walnuts and Cherries~~Yeilds 8 servings   Kudos to Joan Ranzini

2 bunches broccoli, cut into florets (about 6 cups)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1.   Place broccoli in a steamer basket, pllace in a large saucepan over 1 inch of water.  Bring to a boil;  cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
2.  Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute walnuts and garlic in oil  until garlic is tender.  Stir in the cherries, salt, pepper flakes, and broccoli; toss to coat.

Nutritional Facts:  3/4 cup equals 140 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Diabetic Exchange:  2 vegetables, 1 fat.

Now doesn't that sound absolutely delious???!!!  Yummmmm!  And easy smeasy!!
Everyone remember to enjoy every second of your day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment