Blogger Layouts

Friday, January 15, 2010

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I sat down to post then I had to go do something or other and did not get back to it. I woke with a 175 reading! Not good but going in the right direction! I just ate lunch which consisted of ww Fusilli with red pepper, green pepper, sweet onion, celery, and Miracle Whip light to make it stick together. I had a 85 reading before I ate so now I am thinking I still need to take some insulin cuz we all know that eating WILL CAUSE YOUR SUGAR TO GO UP!!!

I will be making Party Barley Pilaf (Vegan) and here is that recipe:

1/2 cup barley, cooked in approx. a cup of veggie stock, about 50 minutes
1/2 rib celery, cut very very fin1/2 small carrot, grated, OR a good chunk of red capsicum (something for colour, ya know?)
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 or 3 ounces mushroom (your choice), finely chopped~~(I will be leaving these OUT!) lol
1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (yuk) but I will add
pinch of cayenne
Garnish: cilantro or Italian parsley, chopped

While the barley finishes cooking, put a non-stick pan on med=high heat and add maybe a twp oil if you like- add the vegetables and cayenne and cook until the vegetables are lightly cooked but still crispier than not (this won't take long). When done, set aside if the barley is not yet finished.
When barley is cooked, it should have absorbed all the liquid.
Finally, add the veggies to the barley, stir to mix thoroughly, taste for seasoning, garnish and serve.

Have I mentioned that I hate most beans? I will have a hard time turning vegetarian! I am looking forward to the Mexican food I plan on making Sat night! It will have been a week since I ate meat and I LOVE Mexican food!!!

I have a couple of things to let you know, our insurance changed at the beginning of the year and now it covers St Joseph hospitals and clinics!!! Why would I be excited by that? Because now I can see the doctors there that work with Byetta. Here in Jackson, we call it dragon spit. It is from the Gela monster and it is a new medication to treat diabetes. In 2005 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the drug exenatide (marketed as Byetta) for the management of type 2 diabetes. It is a synthetic version of a protein, exendin-4, derived from the Gila monster's saliva.[21] In a three-year study with people with type 2 diabetes, exenatide led to healthy sustained glucose levels and progressive weight loss. The effectiveness is due to the fact that the lizard protein is about 50 percent identical to glucagon-like peptide-1 analog (GLP-1), a hormone released from the human digestive tract, that helps to regulate insulin and glucagon. The lizard protein remains effective much longer than the human hormone, helping diabetics keep their blood sugar levels under control. Exenatide slows the emptying of the stomach and causes a decrease in appetite, contributing to weight loss.
I have made an appt and I am so so so hoping that I can be put on this medication and that it will help lower by blood sugars!!!
The last thing is I saw on the news where an artificial pancreas is going to be here in about 4 YEARS!!!!! That is going to turn the diabetes world so upside down!!!! Just think of all those kids who will not have to have a shot when they want something to eat!!! I am really excited about that!!!
Remember to ENJOY your day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment